Friday, May 2, 2014

Pop Goes the Garden!

Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled Untitled over at TEND
We had a wet and rainy week receiving over 5 inches of rain! After the rains stopped and the sun returned, everything seemed to pop. Our Kwanza cherry trees finally bloomed and soon we will have pink snow everywhere (I found a few petals in my bed this morning)

I was so excited to find that the asparagus I had planted last year was up and looking healthy and happy. I am experimenting with growing it amongst other perennials even though it's said to not do well with competition. But I like to break the rules and at least give things a try. I have no choice with my little patch of land. As much as I am dying to try a taste I need to wait until next year to harvest any spears. Patience is key with asparagus. Cut too soon and you can weaken the patch.

We hung our mason bee house this week. Mason bees are incredible pollinators. Each one visits as many as 1000 blooms per day — 20 times as many as a honeybee!

The red leaf lettuce is doing well in a shady spot behind the rabbit hutch. We may be able to harvest a few leaves to add to salads this week or feed to our new little rabbit friends.

Yes, we have two new additions to the garden. Tilly and Lucy are both dwarf Norwegians and have won us over with their sweet and cuddly dispositions. The chickens have some company now!

This week I plan to plant cherry tomatoes along with some cucumbers to grow up that A frame trellis.

What will you plant this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment