Monday, July 1, 2013

Lately

 

A new edition to the garden has been some local straw mulch. Our vegetables seem to be enjoying their new ground cover.

One of my spilanthes plants in bloom. I had all intentions of making a mouthwash but I just keep popping the buds in my mouth when I'm in the garden. If you've never tried it, it's a really intense experience. Spilanthes causes salivation to increase and also makes your mouth tingle.


Snap peas before the afternoon storm.


Our garlic scapes have been harvested, which means it's time to pickle them. This is our very favorite recipe. We love bringing pickled scapes to gatherings. Our friends love them too and have been known to fight over the last scape in the jar.


After my weekend away, I was very happy to see the Musquee de Provence pumpkins growing.


My breadseed poppies are about to bloom.

Whenever we're in the garden lately, we're always snacking on English peas. The peas may not be making it to our freezer but their pods are. We will use them to make vegetable stock.


I must say that out of all of the flowers on this property, I prefer my neighbor's. Particularly these...

and these.

Happy July!

3 comments:

  1. I'm now completely intrigued by spilanthes, and your garlic scape photograph is the bee's knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garlic scape pickles...sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had planted breadseed poppies in with some lettuce, but didn't know if they had come up. There were a few plants that I thought might be them, and based on your picture I think I was right. I had been reading about spilanthes but didn't even think about growing it- what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete