Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Beautiful Rosemary



Of all the things I grow in my garden, rosemary is one of my favorite herbs and one of the more challenging ones to care for.  Although temperamental here in the PNW, under the proper conditions rosemary can thrive.  Shrubs prefer well drained soil, lots of sun and protection from winter elements.



Rosemary is currently in full bloom here in Seattle.  One of my favorite ways to use it is paired with garlic in a hearty focaccia bread.  I've been using this recipe for years; it's versatile and can be used for pizza dough, focaccia bread or rolls.




Basic Pizza and Focaccia Dough

1 Tablespoon yeast
1/2 Cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Cup cold water
2 Tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
4 Cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

For Focaccia, add:
1/4- 1/2 Cup chopped rosemary
1/4- 1/2 Cup chopped garlic



Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and sugar and let rest for 10 minutes.  Add cold water and olive oil.  In a separate bowl, whisk together one cup of flour and the salt, then add to the water mixture.  Add the remaining 3 cups of flour one cup at a time.  Once it's too difficult to stir, turn onto a floured surface and knead.  Knead for several minutes, then place in a large oiled bowl.  Cover with a damp cloth and allow to raise in a warm corner for at least 1 hour, or until dough is doubled.  Punch down and shape into desired shape.



At this point the dough can be used for pizza, rolls, or focaccia.  For focaccia, I shape it into a rectangle and fill one cookie sheet.  Drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, sprinkle with salt, sprinkle chopped rosemary and garlic (I use a lot!).  Let it rise for 30 minutes or so.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.  After it's cool, cut into squares, slice horizontally and fill with your favorite sandwich fillings.  Tonight, we had yummy apple pecan chicken salad sandwiches.  They were devoured!  Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. sounds delicious!
    it does not look like our rosemary plant made it through this harsh winter, so I may need to start growing a new plant this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've lost several over the years, mostly because it's so wet here in seattle. but it never keeps me from trying again and again! best of luck to you rebecca!

      Delete
  2. I've never tried to bake foccacia, maybe it's time for me to start ! Thanks for sharing your recipe, my friend. I'm growing organic rosemary on my windowsill (no garden, sadly) but it grows abundantly, wild, over here, so no problem for finding it ! ox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello sonia! i bet you are able to find it all over where you are! and i bet you would love focaccia bread, you should make some :) xoxo

      Delete