Tuesday, September 23, 2014

fall flowers

Yesterday, on the way home from school, we walked down the back alleys of our neighborhood and brought in flowers for the dining room table.  All of the goldenrod is taller than I am and I picked armloads of it.
Although it is far from my favorite color, I love how all of the blossoms of fall are purple and brightest gold.  There was so much going on it the alleys- goldenrod swaying in the breeze, swamp sunflowers, almost 10 feet tall, budding out.  The poke sallet was full of dark purple berries on magenta stems, and the wild false ageratum looks like lilac pom pons.


From my own yard I picked more of the jerusalem artichokes that run wild through my front flower bed, and some of the hyacinth bean vine, both in blossom spikes and in spikes full of deep glossy purple beans (I'll dry them for next year; I've already noticed someone has been munching on them in the garden).  It's almost time to put in pansies and violas, and I hope that I'll be able to find some decorative kales and swiss chard starts soon since I neglected to plant my seeds when it was time.

Happy Fall, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment