Monday, June 9, 2014

Lavender Lemonade

Between my parent's home and mine, we have nearly 30 lavender bushes of different varieties that grow big and happy each summer.  Several of our English lavenders are in bloom right now, so my mom, my boys and I spent the weekend cutting fresh bouquets.  The lavandins are still a little ways off from blooming.  For now, we're enjoying the fresh bouquets hanging from our family room beams.




When I was in college, I worked at a cute little cafe that doubled as an antique store.  It was quaint and filled with all sorts of things that I adored.  I had my first taste of lavender lemonade there and thought it was such a refreshing treat during the hot summer days.  Since then, I make it every summer when lavender is in bloom.  Here's my very simple, very flexible recipe for a sugar-free lavender lemonade.  I hope you're enjoying these late spring/ early summer days, we sure are!




Lavender Lemonade
1 cup hot water
1 cup (about two handfuls) dried or fresh lavender buds
1 cup honey
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2-3 cups cold water
Start by making a simple syrup of with equal amounts of honey, dried or fresh lavender and hot water.  Let it steep for several minutes.  Add an equal amount of fresh lemon juice.  Dilute to your liking with cold water; I usually add 2-3 times the amount of cold water.  Adjust the sweetness/ tartness by adding more honey, more lavender or more lemon juice.  Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you. I've pinned this for future reference. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! Thank you for the lavender post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious and very beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of the hanging drying lavender is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm an avid reader of tend (and adore it!) but this is my first comment......did you used to work at Antique Sandwich Company in Tacoma? If so, I went to college near there too and am so glad to now have a recipe for their lavender lemonade. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete