Friday, August 5, 2011

sungolds

so let's talk cherry tomatoes shall we.

or should i say cherry tomato. because in my book there really is only one.

don't get me wrong i do love other varieties like "matt's wild cherry", "sweet olive" and "black cherry". they really are very tasty and beautiful too.

but when i spy that first orange "sungold" on the vine and pop the sun warmed fruit into my mouth, i remember why i love summer so much.

my girls think they taste like candy and i couldn't agree more. once i pop one into my mouth i just can't stop.

they hardly make their way into a salad or salsa before the basket is emptied.

but i don't mind. for once it's nice to say to the girls "go ahead, eat as much candy as you like!"

7 comments:

  1. the last photo makes my heart sing! love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they do look like little balls of sunshine! i have been getting them at the farmers market this year - must add them to my own garden next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sungolds are my favorite too! So much so that they are the only cherry I planted this year. I had to enact a strict Mommy-only picking rule because my toddler loves them so much he doesn't even wait until they're ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sungolds definitely have a special place in my heart. they are the top seller at our farmer's market, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps: amy, where did you get your harvest basket?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya. I love introducing people to sungolds. I grow more and more sungolds and token black cherry, gardners delight and matt's wild. They just accompany for atheistic sake because there is nothing sweeter than a sungold. Lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. shari: the basket is from the thrift store. i don't think i have ever bought a new basket:) i find them all of the time and would be happy to send you one.

    ReplyDelete