Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strawberry-lemon slushie



As in much of the country we've been experiencing higher than average temperatures this week. The other day, after overdoing it in the heat, I came indoors with a beet red face and tongue hanging out, panting, I want a slushie! So I began throwing frozen strawberries (from our garden), ice cubes, squeezing lemon juice, and drizzling agave nectar into the blender. Whirrrr... in moments I was feeling revived, and even went back outside to enjoy it in the shade. This drink is fruity and not overly sweet, and definitely perky.

Last night I made it again, jotting down (loose) notes of ingredient quantities, using simply the wide mouth jar for measuring. Makes about 2 cups or 2 servings.

Strawberry-lemon slushie
* 4 oz. water (for a spoon-thick slushie) or 6 oz. water (for a drinkable slushie)
* 1-2 Tbls. agave nectar, or sweetener of choice (swirl it into water to dissolve then pour into blender. Honestly I didn't measure it, the amount is a guesstimate.)
* juice of 1 large or 2 small lemons
* full mason jar of frozen strawberries
* 4 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender and whirl. Taste and adjust sweetener if necessary. Garnish with fresh mint and sip or slurp away!

3 comments:

  1. Strawberry and lemon, yum, and it's such a pretty red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great plan. can't wait for the local strawberries to roll on in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh oh, this is so good, I made it for me and my littles for dessert tonight!
    And by the way, I am loving the blog, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete